Sony is concerned about Microsoft’s acquisition of Activision Blizzard because it could result in the loss of Call of Duty on the PlayStation.
Microsoft says that it has no current or future plans to make the Xbox the only platform for the Call of Duty series.
Xbox boss Phil Spencer wrote a letter to PlayStation head Jim Ryan earlier this year, saying that the Call of Duty franchise wouldn’t suddenly disappear from PlayStation platforms even if the regulators approved the $68.7 billion deal between Microsoft and Activision Blizzard.
CEO Phil Spencer, in a statement to The Verge, said;
“In January, we provided a signed agreement to Sony to guarantee Call of Duty on PlayStation, with feature and content parity, for at least several more years beyond the current Sony contract, an offer that goes well beyond typical gaming industry agreements.”
The Xbox CEO stated, “Sony is an important part of our business, and we appreciate our connection,” in a tweet at the time of the arrangement.
Had good calls this week with leaders at Sony. I confirmed our intent to honor all existing agreements upon acquisition of Activision Blizzard and our desire to keep Call of Duty on PlayStation. Sony is an important part of our industry, and we value our relationship.— Phil Spencer (@XboxP3) January 20, 2022