In this Guide I will show, How to Install and Setup Yoast SEO WordPress plugin. Yoast SEO plugin is very simple and more efficient than other SEO plugins. We all know the importance of SEO, and for optimizing our blog post, we need the best SEO plugins. At 3nions we use Yoast SEO free WordPress plugin for Search Engine Optimization.
Why is Yoast SEO better than other SEO plugins?
Yoast is simple, and if you are a beginner, then you should probably go for this plugin. It is very easy to use, and has best features to offer. Content analysis lets you know about your mistakes and also suggests you steps to correct them so that you can get the maximum benefit from this plugin.
Yoast SEO Plugin is a complete SEO plugin which has all necessary features. Without wasting more time Let’s have a look to the features of Yoast SEO.
Features of Yoast SEO : ( Free )
- Post titles and meta descriptions : Add post titles and write the meta description for your posts easily by clicking at the “Edit Snippet” button.
- Robots.txt editor : Allow or disallow web spiders for the crawling and the indexing of a page, post or a link.
- Generate Sitemaps : Automatically generates sitemaps for your site.
- Import & Export : Import SEO settings from other SEO plugins or export SEO settings.
- Recalculate SEO scores.
- Content Analysis for Each posts and pages.
- Snippet Editor for Each posts and pages.
- Breadcrumbs support.
- Permalink Settings.
- Bulk Editor : Edit titles and descriptions of your posts and pages quickly.
- Edit .htaccess files – .htaccess is very important file before making any change make sure that you really know what you are doing.
- Verify your site for Alexa, Google, Yandex, and Bing.
- Title Separator, Taxonomies – Control Meta robots and Site wide meta settings.
- Informs Google about your social profiles.
- Add Open Graph meta data for Facebook and Pinterest and Add Twitter card meta data.
These are some amazing features that Yoast SEO offers. Now let us see how to install Yoast SEO.
How to Install Yoast SEO – WordPress Plugin
Installing Yoast SEO is as easy as installing other plugins. For installing this plugin go to Plugins>Add new. Now Search for the plugin by typing the Yoast SEO and then hit enter. As you can see the screenshot below, You have to click on the Install Now button. ( In the screenshot you see that I have already installed the plugin that is why It is showing – Installed )
When the plugin gets installed, you will see an option Activate the plugin. Now Activate the plugin, and you have finished with the Installation process.
As you are done with the installation and activation process, Let’s set up Yoast SEO – WordPress plugin. Follow the steps one by one.
I hope this will help you learn How to Setup Yoast SEO correctly for maximum benefit.
Complete Guide to Setup Yoast WordPress SEO Plugin
Setting up Yoast SEO plugin might be confusing for newbies. But hey don’t worry and listen skip the next paragraph and continue from the step-1 because that subsection is for those who want to import SEO settings from the other SEO plugins, not for the complete beginners.
If you want to Import SEO settings from the other SEO plugins go to SEO>tools>Import and Export.
As you can see in the screenshot clearly that you can import settings from various plugins such as Headspace2, All in one SEO, WooThemes SEO framework, and wpSEO. I recently updated my plugin to Version 3.2.4.
Note: After making changes do not forget to save changes other-wise changes will not occur. You have to do this for every single move you make.
1. General Settings
There are several tabs under the section General Settings. Let’s see each one of them and what they have to offer.
1. General: Here you can view your last changes, and you can also restore the default settings.
You can start a tour to learn more about the Yoast SEO Plugin.
2. Companies Info: What you have to do under SEO>General settings>Company’s Info is filling out the website name, company’s information, and logo.
3. Webmaster Tools: The second thing you can do is to submit your site to Alexa, Bing, Google, and Yandex.
If you are not using Google Search Console, then you are making a big mistake because it has much more useful things to offer you which will improve your site’s overall ranking.
You should at least use Google Search Console. Google is most famous Search Engine and can not ignore it if you want high rankings and huge traffic.
4. Security: The last tab in the General settings is Security. It have only two options 1. Enabled and 2. Disabled. If you mark it enabled then it will enable the advanced section of the Yoast SEO meta box and disabling will disable the advanced part of the Yoast SEO meta box.
2. Titles & Metas
To access this page go to SEO>Titles & Metas. It has six tabs General, Homepage, Post Types, Taxonomies, Archives, and the last one is Other.
1. General: Here you can choose any symbol you want for separating the post title and site name. I use symbol ” | ” as a Title separator.
2. Homepage: Here you have to fill your Title and Meta description of your homepage. Don’t leave it blank because this shows up in the Search result when anyone searches for your site on the search engine, for example, Google.
You should Fill the same way I have filled; this is the proper way, and everyone follows the same pattern.
For example, you can see : ( ScreenShot )
Whatever I have written above is part of my site’s snippet and this how your site will appear on the Search Engine. So fill the details correctly and do not copy from others. It is your homepage, give your best to describe your site.
3. Post Types: Here you can change the structure of title template for posts, pages, and media. Do not make any change unnecessarily and keep it as it is.
You can control Meta robots, and you can show and hide the date in the snippet preview. I recommend you not to make any change here. Let it be as it is.
4. Taxonomies: Here you can make the changes for Tags and Categories. Two more things you can do, you can also control the meta robots and you can either show or hide the Yoast SEO meta box.
5. Archives: You can configure meta description and titles for Author archives and for Date archives.
6. Other: This tab has only 3 options you can see and read about them in the screenshot.
The Social Networks are the best place to share your Web contents with lots of people.
One of the best features of Yoast SEO is that you can link your Social Pages. It informs Google about your Social profiles.
There are total five tabs in the Social Section to access this section you can go to SEO>Social. Now let’s see one tab at a time and find their use.
1. Account :
As I discussed above, it informs the Google about your Social profiles, but you need to link with them before you can get any benefit.
2. Facebook :
You can add open Graph data. This data goes to the <head> section of Your site. Facebook uses this data when your pages are shared. You can read more about this here : https://developers.facebook.com/docs/sharing/webmasters
If you want to access Facebook Insights for your site, you need to specify a Facebook Admin. Admin can be any user or you can use your Facebook App ID.
3. Twitter :
You can add twitter card as well. You can change summary and summary with large image.
Summary with large image looks fine so I suggest you to use this.
4. Pinterest :
Same like Facebook Pinterest too uses open graph meta data. To optimize your site for pinterest you have to confirm your site with Pinterest and add the meta tag in the given box.
5. Google + :
To integrate your site with google+ you can simply paste the link of your google + page.
4. XML sitemaps
XML sitemaps are important for any website. They inform Google and other search engines about your site’s content. They make indexing pretty easy.
Sitemap is list of pages, posts, categories, images, etc. of your website that helps search engines to understand about your site quickly.
There are total five tabs in this section. Now let’s see them and know them one by one.
1. General: Make sure XML sitemap functionality is enabled otherwise you will not be able to see anything.
You can find your XML sitemap generated by Yoast SEO plugin easily by clicking on the XML Sitemap button or else by visiting the link : http://www.yoursite.com/sitemap_index.xml .
You can also enter a maximum number of entries per sitemap page. If you have memory issues, you can change the no of entries per sitemap page. By default, it is 1000 entries per sitemap page.
2. User sitemap : It contains author archive URLs for every user on your site. I have disabled it for my site. If you want, you can enable for yours.
3. Post Types :
Here you have two options In sitemap and Not in the sitemap. Whether you want to include posts, pages, and Media in the sitemap or not? If you mark In sitemap, they will be incorporated.
Everyone want them to be the part of Sitemap so basically you should choose In sitemap for posts, pages, media and save the changes.
4. Excluded Posts: You can exclude the posts that you don’t want for the sitemap.
For this, you have to enter Post ID.
5. Taxonomies : It is for categories and Tags. You can include or exclude them from sitemap.
As you can see that I have excluded tags from sitemap because they are annoying sometimes.
1. Breadcrumbs : Breadcrumbs navigation improves user experience by making navigation on your website easy and also makes easy for visitors to understand about the page or post location.
You can either disable breadcrumbs or enable breadcrumbs. If you want to allow, then choose the Enabled option and save changes.
An example of Typical breadcrumbs:
www.3nions.com>seo>Setup Yoast SEO
2. Permalinks : This is different than your Permalinks setting which is under your WordPress dashboard’s panel.
You can change your settings for permalinks in the dashboard Settings section and not from here.
I recommend you to go with the default settings and do not make any changes. If you know what you are doing then, only you should do it.
3. RSS : Yoast SEO has RSS section which is an unusual feature. As we all know, our content is not safe.
Scrappers, they will try to steal your copy. But whenever they use your content you get links back to your blog post. Be smart and let them benefit you.
It also informs Search Engine that you are the source and they are scrappers.
Go to SEO>Tools to access this Page.
1. Bulk Editor : Bulk Editor allows you to change titles and descriptions for your post and pages quickly.
You need not go and open each page or post for changing tile and description because Bulk Editor makes your job pretty easy.
2. File Editor : This tool is very important because it allows you to change your most important files like Robots.txt and .htaccess files.
NOTE : Read and learn about Robots.txt and .htaccess file before making any changes. Any wrong change can cost you much more than you think so do not touch them until and unless you know about them.
You might like :
- Robots.txt file : Understand the basics and importance
3. Import and Export : Import SEO settings from other SEO plugins like HeadSpace2, All in one SEO, Wp SEO and WooThemes SEO framework.
About this setting I have already discussed in the beginning. How to Install and Setup Yoast SEO.
4. Recalculate SEO scores : You can recalculate the SEO scores for all pieces of content with a focus keyword.
7. Search Console
Settings tab is for Google Authorization and you can got to SEO>Search Console for that. You can authenticate with Google. You just have to click on the Get Google Authorization Code and it will take you to the Google Search Console where you can get the Authorization code. After getting the Authorization code Enter the google authorization code and hit the Authenticate button. After the verification you will have to select profile i.e. you have to select your website from the drop-down menu.
Now as you are verified, you can have the access to following three tabs but you need premium version of Yoast SEO to create redirects for those links or pages which show response code 404 i.e. file not found.
Under the Search Console section Now we have Four tabs Desktop, Smartphone, Feature Phone and settings.
You are finished with the configuration part but still few more things you need to know. As You have Installed and you have learned to Setup Yoast SEO plugin, the only thing you need to know is how to use Yoast SEO so that you get maximum benefit from this plugin and also high ranking in Search Engine Result Page ( SERP ). I have covered everything in this tutorial but You should learn the basics and advanced of SEO. You can learn SEO with us and you can ask your doubts as well ! We will love to help you. This is a simple tutorial to Setup Yoast SEO.
How to use Yoast SEO for Posts and Pages
Once you have done with the setup, you will see a new box called Yoast SEO. This box will appear on every page and post editor page. This box is divided into three sections – Snippet Editor, Focus Keyword and content analysis.
1. Snippet Editor : To edit the Snippet click on the Edit Snippet button. You should edit your snippet for each post and page.
You should never leave this Section blank if you want high ranking in Search Engine Results Page (SERP). Fill out the Meta description properly, you should always include your focus keyword in the meta description. Meta description should not exceed the maximum limit which is 165 characters. I recommend you to keep your meta description between 120-160 characters for each post.
This is part of On Page Optimization so you should take this seriously for your site’s bright future.
What is On Page SEO ?
“On Page SEO is another method of optimization that refers to factors like Page title, keyword placement, Keyword density and more which are actually under your own control”.
Read the full Article :
- On page SEO : Strategies to boost Search Engine Traffic
- On Page SEO Checklist: 5 Ways To Optimize your blog for maximum traffic
2. Focus Keyword :
Keyword is most important On page SEO factor. You should include your focus keyword at following places : How to Install and Setup Yoast SEO.
- In the Title tag : Always Start your post title with Keyword if possible.
- 2-3 times in post + In the first paragraph of your blog post : Include your Focus keyword 2-3 times in between the post and in the first paragraph. And keep your keyword density between 0.5-1.5 %. Avoid Keyword stuffing.
- In H2 : Use your focus keyword at-least once in H2 tag.
- In Image Attributes : Whenever you use image optimize it to get the maximum value for it.
- In the Permalink : Include your keyword in the permalink.
You might like : How to Install and Setup Yoast SEO.
- Best keyword suggestion tools
3. Content Analysis : This is my favorite feature and I love Yoast SEO specially for this. You can see my content Analysis for the post.
I have not optimized yet so in the I will be showing my final Analysis. This section is very helpful for everyone. This informs us about our mistakes that we have made and thus it makes our job very easy.
Everything should be Green because Green represents Good SEO and we all want it to be Good. You have to follow all the suggestions to make your SEO green.
Now I would like to share checklist for Content Analysis and by following this you will be able to get the Green Signal.
- And, How, of, etc are the stop words, you should try that you don’t use stop words in your focus keyword.
- Write a post containing 500+ words.
- Keep your title between 35-65 characters.
- Include your keyword in permalink.
- Keep your keyword density between 0.5-1.5%.
- Make sure that your keyword appears in the first paragraph of your copy or post.
- Write easy so that your copy scores more than 60 in the flesch reading ease test.
- Whenever use images in your post make sure they have alt attributes containing your focus keyword.
- Use your focus keyword in H2 once or twice in your copy.
As I promised that I will be my showing my final content analysis once I am finished with the optimization so here it is :
I hope This guide has helped you to Setup Yoast SEO properly.
If you liked this post, and this guide helped you in setting up Yoast SEO correctly then please share this article on twitter and Facebook with your friends. If you have any question regarding this tutorial or related to SEO please feel free to ask.