Improving joint health nutritionally along with exercise !
Similar to the bones there are different types of joints such as fibrous joints, cartilaginous joints, and synovial joints. So bones, ligaments, cartilage all are made of the matrix of protein fibres and ground substances which cements the substances between cells and the fibres.
Bones, cartilage, and ligaments are also made up of cells, protein fibres and ground substances.
Cartilage consists of cells such as chondroblasts which help in the formation of new cartilage and chondrocytes which are the mature cells. Protein fibres such as collagen protein which is present in a good amount of the body help to strengthen not only the cartilage but also ligaments and bones and this collagen protein actually make collagen fibre which is strong enough.
The Ligament is a fibrous band which connects two bones and it is elastic. Along with its elasticity, it is also very strong.
Then what is the reason behind joint health problems such as arthritis, gout, etc. Basically, these are situations in which an individual suffers inflammation at that joint and if not taken proper care it can be worse. Here is the solution.
1. The first and the foremost thing is to get off your butt and start some activity. This activity, if it’s weight training then it’s the best foundation. Because you need to strengthen your muscle fibres as these are the support system of your joints and this cannot be done solely by any type of cardio training as you will not be contracting your muscles fully to an adequate range of motion whereas in weight training you will be improving on overall growth.
2. Next goal of yours should be getting into the right body composition. People often believe that reaching that ideal weight for matching their BMI is enough. But my friend your weight can be either of your fat deposit or muscle mass. So more of the muscle mass you develop, there is an increase in metabolism which will further help in fat burning. And that is only possible if you take your muscles to that microtrauma to get that hypertrophy.
3. Supplementing proper nutrition.
By supplementing I mean that start fulfilling your macro requirements that are carbs, fats and protein and especially protein as it is the most important in the development of our muscle fibres and also for the cells and protein fibres which help in the development of cartilage, bones, and ligaments. And this supplementation should be done majorly with food sources such first and then additional supplements. As you should not be dependent merely on protein jars. Because if your supplements cost more that your grocery you are not going the right way.
4. Adding joint health supplements.
Joint health supplements include glucosamine, chondroitin sulfate, hyaluronic acid and collagen help in the development of cartilage and ligaments. But you should supplement glucosamine as it is produced in the body at a slower rate, unlike other substances which are made at a faster rate in the body. Glucosamine sulfate is the recommended form of glucosamine as sulfate helps in strengthening the structure of bone, cartilage, and ligaments. The dosage of glucosamine will be 1500mg per day and can be taken with any meal at any time of the day.
Supplementation of vitamins such as c and k will help in collagen synthesis.
5.In cases where people suffer from gout and high uric acid levels, they should avoid high purine foods such as high gi fruits such as banana, chikoo, grapes, etc. By this, I mean that these foods must not be consumed in high quantity. Similarly, consumption of pulses which are sources of second class proteins must also be reduced. Meat consumption must also be reduced as all the above foods if consumed in higher amounts will lead to increased breakdown of purines which will lead to high uric acid levels. And the intake of alcohols must also be stopped as it also is high in purine.
6. And lastly, improve your lifestyle which is the root cause of all the health disorders.
Read more :
- The Science of Pre, Post and During Workout Nutrition
- Improving joint health nutritionally along with exercise !
- How to nutritionally improve bone health along with exercise ?
- Monsoon diet plans to stay healthy
- Will squats lead to knee pain ??
- AVOID THESE USELESS EXERCISES !
- A simple key to fat loss – Lose fat fast
- How to kill stress with meditation
- Will lifting weights stunt your height ??
- How to avoid injuries during a workout – 3 ultimate ways