Google spokesperson said that due to the US ban, Huawei Mate 30 cannot be sold with the licensed version of Android or Google apps and services. Google would require to apply for a license from the U.S. government to release Huawei Mate 30 series with Google apps and services. This will allow Huawei Mate 30 Pro to be listed as a new device. However, the same was neither declined nor confirmed by the Google spokesperson who previously said that it wants to continue to work with Huawei.
Rumors suggest that Huawei is all set to launch the Huawei Mate 30 series this year, most probably on September 18 but the launch date could be delayed. According to Reuters, it could possibly use AOSP to get around the ban.
“Huawei will continue to use the Android OS and ecosystem if the U.S. government allows us to do so. Otherwise, we will continue to develop our own operating system and ecosystem.”-Joe Kelly Huawei spokesman
If the ban continues to be in action, Huawei would have to release the Mate 30 series without the Play Store or they could possibly launch it in China where customers usually use Android devices without Google services. Google wants to continue to work with Huawei but this could only happen if the company becomes a bargaining chip in the U.S. trade war with China.
Moreover, Huawei could use HarmonyOS which would be available as an open-source platform for every device. HarmonyOS, in theory, could replace Android on the Mate 30 and Mate 30 Pro. However, there are no such plans to launch Huawei Mate 30 series this year that runs HarmonyOS.
Huawei’s rotating chairman Eric Xu said that the export ban would cost the company’s consumer business group $10 billion in revenue this year. Moreover, Huawei is expected to become the largest smartphone manufacturer in the world. Huawei was estimated to be second to Samsung with global shipments.