If your phone gets lost or stolen, you can buy a new one from the Market. But, you will lose everything if you haven’t taken a backup of your valuable data. Be it photos, videos, app data, contacts, or anything else, losing it is simply a nightmare.
Best Ways to Backup Android Phone
Many third-party apps will let you take a full backup of your Android phone, but they will work only with the rooted phones. Many of us still don’t have a rooted phone. Thankfully, backing up your Android phone has never been a child’s play. Follow this tutorial to learn Best Ways to Backup Android Phone.
Let’s get started,
1. Google Backup & Restore
Backup & Restore is an inbuilt feature, present in every smartphone running Android. This is the best way to protect App data including Wi-Fi passwords, Calendar, Chrome, Contacts, and other settings. You will just have to sign in using this Google account, and all your data and settings will be restored automatically.
Here’s how to back up an Android phone using this method:
- On your Android device, Go to Settings > Accounts.
- Under “Accounts,” tap Google. ( You can also add a new Google account by tapping + Add account option )
- Now tap on the Gmail account which you want to use for backups.
- Here, you can turn on sync for all the options by sliding that circle button towards the right. Remember – You want to backup App Data, Calendar, Chrome data, Contacts, Drive, Gmail and more then make sure sync is enabled on for these options.
- Now go to Settings > Backup & Reset.
- Turn on Back up my data.
- Done !!!.
[su_highlight background=”#2980B9″ color=”#ECF0F1″]Note:[/su_highlight] This will save your App data, Calendar, Chrome data, Contacts, Drive, and Gmail only, not photos, videos, files and music.
Backup Photos and Videos
Google Photos can be used to automatically backup the Photos and Videos to Google Account. If you do not have Google Photos installed on your phone, then you can download it from Google Play Store.
If it’s already installed then make sure that the Backup & Sync is on. To back up your photos and videos, it is necessary to turn on Backup & Sync.
How to turn On Backup & Sync?
To do that:
- Open Google Photos.
- Tap the menu ≡ and go to settings.
- Under “Settings,” Tap on the Back up & sync.
- Now Turn On the Back up & sync if it’s Off.
Note: If Any photo or video isn’t backed up then it will have this icon.
Upload Files to Google Drive
Other important files such as Documents, ppts, pdf files can be uploaded to Google Drive. You can also upload images, videos, Audios manually on Google drive.
To upload files on Google Drive:
- Open Google Drive App.
- Tap on Add.
- Now Tap Upload.
- Here you can select the files that you want to upload.
This will save all your important files on Google Drive. You can download them anytime you want to.
Using this method, you can backup almost anything except Messages. Once you sign into your Google account, you will have all your app data, contacts, bookmarks, photos and even all your videos.
2. Backup User Data on Android Recovery Mode
This is the simplest way to fully backup and restore your Android System. I wouldn’t recommend this method to newbies. Although, the method is safe but sometimes people wipe all their data instead of backing up them. If you are willing to go with this plan, then do it carefully.
If you want to install a new custom ROM or want to back up your data to SD card. Then this method is for you. It will not only backup your files but everything including your Android version. So if anything goes wrong in future, you won’t have to worry about losing all your Android data and other settings. You will just have to enter into recovery mode, and tap restore.
To backup your Data, follow these steps:
Step 1: Switch off your Phone.
Kindly, turn off your Android phone by pressing the Power button.
Step 2: Enter into Recovery mode by holding down the recovery buttons.
To enter into Recovery mode Press and hold the Power key and the Volume down key together for few seconds. You should see a new screen where you will be asked to press either Volume up button or Volume down button. Simply, read the instruction shown and press the button that will take to recovery mode.
Note: This step varies from device to device. You can search on Google to find the recovery buttons for your device.
Step 3: Select “backup user data” to start the backup process.
Press volume down key to move down. Now, select backup user data by pressing “enter” button. This will start backing up your Android system and settings to the SD card. Wait, let the backup process complete.
To restore your phone from backup,
- Follow the above two steps i.e. enter into recovery mode.
- This time, choose to Restore user data.
- Once the process is complete, you will be informed with the message “Restore Complete.”
Android system backup is an ultimate way to protect not only your valuable files but also your Android version. Imagine that you upgrade your Android OS to the latest one but find the new update less exciting. So, if you have created a system backup file, you can quickly restore your Android device to the previous version.
3. Manually Backing Up Files
The fastest way to backup Files is to connect your Android device to your Computer via USB cable and copy the files that are there in your phone to your computer. Another way is to insert the SD card and move all your important files to it. Once everything is copied, just remove the external SD card and keep it somewhere safe.
Let me show you how to copy and move your contacts to the SD card:
- Open Contacts.
- Press the menu button and Tap on Import/Export.
- Now, if you want to copy contacts from the phone then tap on Phone Contact.
- Click on Next.
- Here choose External SD card to move contacts to SD card.
- Tap Next.
Manually you can copy and move nearly every important documents, photos, videos, music and other files. Remember to update your backups because it’s a manual backup and it’s up to you when you want to backup.
4. Backup And Restore Android using a software
SyncDroid is free software for Windows computer and Android products. It makes the whole backup process faster and easier. Using SyncDroid, you can backup SMS, Contacts, Call Logs, Bookmarks, Music, Videos, Camera Photos, and SD Card Photos and other files.
To backup, your Android data, download and install SyncDroid software on your Windows PC.
[su_button url=”http://www.sync-droid.com/” target=”blank” style=”flat” background=”#0e9828″ color=”#ffffff” size=”6″ radius=”5″ icon=”icon: Download” icon_color=”#ffffff” text_shadow=”0px 0px 0px #000000″]Download SyncDroid[/su_button]
How to Backup and Restore Android Phone with SyncDroid?
SyncDroid supports most of the Android Devices. Once you have downloaded and installed SyncDroid on your computer, all you have to do is;
#1. Connect your Android phone to SyncDroid.
There are two methods to connect your phone to SyncDroid. The first one is
- Connect your phone via USB cable: Connect phone via USB cable and Turn on USB debugging mode on your phone. After that, Click Connect button to connect your Android phone to SyncDroid.
- Connect your phone via Wi-Fi network: Download and install SyncDroid App from Google play store on your phone. Next, Open Syncdroid App and turn on the Wi-Fi on your phone. After that, enter the verification code and Click Connect button.
Once your phone is connected to SyncDroid, you should see your device’s name and properties. Below in the screenshot, you can see that I have used Micromax A290 to prepare this tutorial. Similarly, you would see your device.
#2. Backup Android Device to Computer.
To create backup of your important data files,
- Select the category ( SMS, Contacts, Call Logs, Browser Bookmarks, Album, More Photos, Audio and Video) that you want to backup.
- Now, change the Backup Name and keep it something appropriate.
- Next, Click on the Backup Button.
#2. Restore Android Device From Backup.
To restore your Android phone from the backup, follow these steps:
- Connect your phone to SyncDroid.
- This time, Select Restore.
- Now, select one backup package that you want to restore.
- Next, Select a Category to Restore and then Click on the Restore button.
5. Using Backup Apps
There are plenty of free and premium Backup Apps available on Google play store. Most of the Apps offer basic backup options. But, only some of them are good while others are of no use.
Paid Apps are always better because they have those extra features that we probably look for. Helium backup & Titanium Backup Apps are the two primary apps when it comes to entirely backup an Android Phone. Titanium Backup requires root access.
Helium – App Sync and Backup (Free & Premium)
Helium is most popular backup App. Free version of Helium offers many useful features about which you can read here;
Here are some popular Backup Apps:
- Titanium Backup ★ root (Free & Premium)
- App Backup Restore – Transfer (Free)
- Super Backup.
Just don’t forget that accidents can happen to anyone, anytime and anywhere. Having a backup plan is always a great option. Using any of these methods you can backup your Android data without breaking a sweat.
Worth reading: How to factory reset your android phone
Liked this post? If yes then don’t forget to share it with your friends on Facebook and Twitter. Please, leave your questions and suggestions in the comment box.